Broster Buchanan are delighted to be partnered with Leeds Credit Union to recruit their Head of Finance & HR
Leeds Credit Union has a clear purpose – to be a sustainable, member-focused co-operative, assisting people including, but not limited to, members of society struggling for acceptance by traditional financial institutions, to access financial products and services in a commercially viable way.
What makes them different?
Leeds City Credit Union is one of the largest Credit Unions in Great Britain and is a financial cooperative with 37,000 members that provides straightforward, affordable financial services.
As a mutual there are no shareholders so it is owned by its members and always has the interests of the members at the heart of everything it does.
The credit union prides itself on providing members with the most appropriate services based on their circumstances.
As Head of Finance & HR you will report directly to the CEO and as a member of the Senior Leadership team along with 4 others, you will seek to provide strategic and financial guidance. You will work with an understanding of the sector and passion for the business and will take an interest in all aspects of the business and to work with the team to provide the best services for members. You will develop all necessary policies and procedures to ensure the sound financial management and control of the company’s business, whilst leading the finance team (and the wider business) to ensure that the company’s financial commitments are met. Key accountabilities will include:
- Direct and control finance and credit control staff to ensure that they are appropriately motivated and developed and so that they carry out their responsibilities to the required standard.
- Contribute to the achievement of the company’s business objectives by providing advice and guidance on financial strategy.
- Develop and control the company’s annual operating budget to ensure that all financial targets are met and financial and statutory regulations complied with.
- Provide financial advice and guidance to the company’s Board and CEO to enable them to achieve the Credit Unions objectives.
- Oversee the preparation of the company’s financial accounts to ensure that these are presented accurately and on time.
- Establish routine reporting systems to provide appropriate financial updates to board members
- Oversee the internal and external audit programme to ensure that the company complies with financial procedures and regulations.
- Lead innovative development and maintain all necessary systems, policies and procedures to ensure effective and efficient financial management within the company.
- Manage the company’s investments to ensure the maximum return for the company is achieved.
- Control cashflow to meet all business requirements
- Develop financial models for current operations and for new business opportunities
- Establish professional relationships with equivalent role holders in relevant organisations
- Have full responsibility for HR within the Business supported by an external partner
- Prepare Board and Audit and Finance committee packs and take minutes when appropriate to do so
- Attend all Board meetings and Audit and Finance committee meetings.
The Successful Applicant:
To be successfully considered for this role, candidates will possess the following skills, experience and behaviours:
- Significant financial knowledge and experience – qualified accountant with significant post qualification experience, ACA, ACCA or CIMA
- Strategic thinking – the ability to create and implement long-term plans to maximise business performance
- Commercial orientation / acumen – the ability to add value; a commercial mindset and the ability to develop this within others
- The ability to challenge & question results and ideas to identify issues and improve outcomes.
- Relationship skills – ability to build relationships at all levels
- Passion, empathy and an appreciation for the social enterprise sector
- Leadership and People Management – ability to deliver results through others
- Excellent communication skills both oral and written – the ability to convey information effectively at Board level
- Organisational skills – the ability to meet deadlines and have strong controls and systems
- An established professional network of finance professionals.
- Understanding of relevant HR legislation and an ability to show empathy.
- Experience of working at Board level and producing relevant Board packs.
- Experience of a financial services lending business and exposure to credit control.
- Self starter / self reliant – the ability to work on own initiative
- Appreciation of the sector they are working in
- Takes / seeks responsibility and takes ownership
- Unafraid to get involved in the detail and across other areas outside of function.
- Professional and credible
- Accurate with high levels of attention to detail
- Demonstrates confidentiality and builds trust
- A team player–supports colleagues & works with others to achieve best outcome
What’s on Offer
- A salary of c£60,000 – £65,000 depending upon relevant experience
- Holidays of 25 days plus additional wellbeing day and 1/2 day for Christmas shopping
- Flexible working in terms of both start and finish times and also in terms of hybrid working between home and the Leeds office
- Health cash plan
- Long service awards
To apply for this vacancy click here
To find out more you can contact Lucy Rider at email@example.com.